What is the Role of Vitamin C?
Just one serving of Tropicana Pure Premium Original No Pulp is an excellent source of vitamin C – but what exactly does it do?
Most notably, vitamin C is an antioxidant that may help support a healthy immune system. Start your day with a glass of Tropicana Antioxidant Advantage which contains 160% daily value (DV) of vitamin C.
Increasing Non-Heme Iron Absorption: There are two main types of iron: heme and non-heme. Non-heme iron is found in plant foods such as whole grains, nuts, seeds, leafy greens and legumes. For a diet that’s rich in this type of iron, it’s recommended to also consume plenty of vitamin C, as citric acid may help increase absorption of non-heme iron into the body. Luckily, orange juice is an excellent source of vitamin C, so helping to improve your body’s ability to absorb non-heme iron can be as simple as drinking more OJ.
What Are the Other Nutrients, Minerals, and Vitamins in Orange Juice*?
Vitamin C might be the most well-known of the bunch, but there are plenty of other minerals and vitamins in orange juice. Below is a list of some common nutrients, minerals, and vitamins in orange juice, as well as how each functions in your body.
- Folate: Folate is important for normal cell growth and maintenance and also helps reduce the risk of certain birth defects of the brain or spinal cord.
- Potassium: In addition to helping to control the balance of fluid in our bodies, potassium may also help maintain a healthy blood pressure.**
- Vitamin E*: Another antioxidant, vitamin E promotes healthy cells and body tissues.
- Thiamin (B1): This B vitamin helps our bodies turn food into energy and is integral to cell growth and development, as well as nerve and muscle function.
- Zinc*: Like vitamin C, zinc helps support a healthy immune system. It also plays a role in important functions like cell growth and division, wound healing, and breaking down carbohydrates. (Pro tip: not all Tropicana orange juice products contain zinc, so be sure to grab Trop50 Vitamin C + Zinc.)
- EPA & DHA omega-3*: In addition to being a good source of potassium and folic acid, Tropicana Pure Premium Healthy Heart also contains EPA & DHA omega-3 fatty acids. Supportive but not conclusive research shows that consuming omega-3 may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease. [Again, this info is directly from the Tropicana page, but it has a footnote re: omega-3.] Talk about a tasty way to support your cardiovascular health.
- Calcium & Vitamin D*: Move aside, milk – one 8-oz. glass of Trop50 No Pulp Calcium + Vitamin D contains more calcium than a glass of milk. Both calcium and vitamin D are crucial in keeping bones healthy and strong, plus vitamin D has the additional ability to help your body absorb the calcium. Thanks to Trop50 No Pulp Calcium + Vitamin D, even if you’re dairy intolerant (or even if you just don’t like milk), you can still give your bone health some TLC.
*Not all of the vitamins/minerals listed are present at a meaningful amount (ex: good source) in every Tropicana Orange Juice SKU variety; and some may be delivered via fortification.
**Diets containing foods that are good sources of potassium and low in sodium may reduce the risk of high blood pressure and stroke.